During it’s 100 plus year history the property, consisting of three different buildings, housed a stable, a chocolate factory, a bedding factory, and miscellaneous small industrial applications. In 2001, restoration began which converted the facility to its present use. The building’s restoration is an on going project.
Its architecture and construction are examples of turn of the century mill type design. The exterior masonry walls atop a granite foundation are load bearing and in some places up to two feet in width. Its 17” x 17” white pine columns rest on wrought iron feet and are more fire resistant than steel
The restored mill-type structure housing the Morgan Fine Arts & Film Center, has been owned and managed by three generations of the same family since the 1940's
The L. Buchman Co., Inc., incorporated in 1918, purchased the property in 1941. From 1941 until 1965, down and foam pillows, comforters, sleeping bags, and related products were manufactured at 649. The premium products produced at 649 were sold nationwide through better department stores.
During WW 11, 100% of the factory’s production was directed in support of the war effort. At times, 649 had over 500 hourly employees working over 3 shifts. Pillows and sleeping bags were supplied to the armed services during the Korean conflict. Admiral Byrd’s expedition to the South Pole and Chiang Kai-shek with his wife
was also supplied with sleeping bags manufactured at 649 for his long march on the sea.